Swine Flu;Benign Flu

Yes, the media is taking the Swine Flu by the tail and beating it to death but you can hardly blame them. If your entire livelihood depended on all the news you could generate in a 24 hour period, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year you, too, would ride this little piggy to market with the same gusto.

There is now quite a bit of speculation that this flu bug was born in a laboratory somewhere and that seems about right. The suspicious part of me thinks that someone in the media or government isn’t above unleashing something like this to create news and deflect concern on to things other than the economy and the war in Afghanistan (oh and now Pakistan). Suspicion aside apparently H1N1 is showing many different characteristics that relate it not to just swine, but bird and human so man MAY have created it and now man MAY have spread it.

What to do, what to do? First panic, no just kidding. First wash your hands thoroughly whenever you have been out and about. I use Tropical Traditions liquid soap in a foamer bottle and then grab my scrub brush to clean under nails and in the cuticle. If you are a songbird like me singing the ABC song is sufficient time to completely clean your hands and make yourself smile while you are at it. Washing hands at least 10 times a day is recommended and then keep your fingers and hands away from your face.

Secondly, get your sleep. 7-9 hours a night is the recommended amount and you should wake feeling fully rested and ready to take on whatever your day presents to you. I think if your night is interrupted a power nap during the day never hurt anyone after all Churchill took a 2 hour nap every day and look at the greatness of that man.

I personally ordered Baseline Nutritionals Viragon just now. It is a tincture full of antiviral compounds including garlic, ginger, onion, horseradish, olive leaf extract, liquid ionic zinc, oil of wild mountain oregano, grapefruit seed and habanero. It doesn’t taste “purty” but that compound should wipe out any virus that even tries to enter my immune system. At my house we are drinking raw milk kefir mixed with wild raw honey to keep our gut healthy and spending 15-20 minutes in the late morning sunshine to keep our Vitamin D3 levels optimum.

It goes without saying, that if either of us starts feeling “under the weather”, if we develop a streaming nasal issue, if our muscles ache or we develop some unusual gastro-intestinal problems we will stay home and keep our problems limited to the walls of our domain. Personally if I had just returned from Mexico I might see it as prudent to isolate my family for 24 hours until I know we all just feel great from those sun soaked hours on holiday.

What we will not do is take Tamiflu in any way shape or form. We will not panic and get a flu shot.. There are reports (none substantiated) that many of the people who died in Mexico had been given a flu vaccine in a vain attempt by their government to stem the spread of the virus. The only thing that vaccine did was weaken their already compromised immune systems and those poor slobs were unable to fight anything much less “swine flu”. I think I can also say we will not be travelling outside the USA until this apparent pandemic is squelched. I do not relish the possibility of being held in a quaratine room with other vaccinated or “Tamiflued” victims. I want to fight H1N1 my way and be assured that I will win.

Advertisements

7 responses to this post.

1. Posted by QuercusMax on 19:10 at Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I am reading this blog primarily to get away from the 24×7 non-stop media coverage of the doom that is about to engulf us all.
    Regardless of what happens, I don’t plan to get a flu shot, take Tamiflu or any other drug. I agree that the best prevention is to live a healthy lifestyle in the first place (helps with lots more than just the flu), take common-sense precautions (wash your hands, etc), and don’t invite trouble by going places that are at risk.

• Posted by krisinsight on 5:28 at Friday, May 1, 2009

As you know from reading my blog QuercusMax I could not agree with you more. The media hype H1N1 is receiving is all to their own benefit, so for now I think the next best thing to do to prevent the flu is TURN OFF THE TELEVISION.

2. Posted by Elisabeth on 6:16 at Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Thanks for your answer. I was also thinking that Sambucol is a great product but I read a study about Elderberry syrup:
    and since it mentions that Sambucol Elderberry Extract and its formulations activate the healthy immune system by increasing inflammatory cytokine production, I was wondering if it’s therefore dangerous to take the syrup fighting against a H1N1 virus.

• Posted by krisinsight on 7:51 at Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Elisabeth, in reading that study, which was a bit full of medical jargon, I conclude that Sambucol would be advantageous for all but the person on their death bed and even then they felt AIDS victims would benefit. I have to go mostly by personal experience because I do not always trust “researchers” who often seem to be looking for the answer that benefits them the most. I try the recommendation, if it works I endorse it. If it doesn’t I throw it away.

• Posted by krisinsight on 5:25 at Friday, May 1, 2009

Elisabeth, I did just read that in a flu like H1N1 or H5N1 there is a feeling that certain natural supplements are not the best due to a sort of “cytokine storm” that can occur. One is Echinacea and I am guessing that Elderberry falls in to the same category due to this inflammatory response you read about. If you are concerned that you already have the flu then a supplement that could create a cytokine storm would not be appropriate. If prevention is your goal then Echinacea and Elderberry would be excellent for strengthening your immune system.

3. Posted by krisinsight on 6:08 at Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hi Elisabeth, I take Elderberry syrup (Sambucol or elderberry lozenges) if I come down with a cold to shorten its duration and to boost my immune system. My occasional colds never last very long and are usually years apart, so I credit the things I do. Elderberries have 5 times the antioxidant power of blueberries which are famous for being a powerhouse of antioxidants, they are Nature’s gift and I am in favor of taking supplements given to us by nature rather than drugs created in a laboratory.
    “First do no harm” is my very fundamental approach to disease and illness and Sambucol or other elderberry preparations seem like the perfect first step to take.

4. Posted by Elisabeth on 15:37 at Monday, April 27, 2009

Since I agree with what you wrote, I would like to know your opinion about the Sambucol Elderberry Extract. Is it good or bad against the swine flu?